Pages

Profiles


The following profiles provide insights into study in Indonesia through the experiences of a number of students. If you have any questions for the following members of our network, comment on the relevant blog post and we will try to provide the appropriate information based on our experiences. IndoSTUDY is a branch of Equal Student Exchange (ESE).

Thursday, June 14, 2012

Hugh H.
Home University: La Trobe University, Bundoora Campus, Melbourne, Australia
Indonesian University: Universitas Gadjah Mada, Yogykarta
Course of study: Degree in International Development.
DurationFull-year student exchange in immersion (self-organized)
Source of funding: Part-time work, university support (mobility grant) and scholarships (DEEWR)

Why do you recommend studying in Indonesia / Yogyakarta / and at UGM? Yogyakarta is an accessible city in which to live. It has a neighbourly nature about it. People there are always up for a chat and the lifestyle is much more relaxed and laid back than in Melbourne. Making friends was easy and enjoyable in such a hospitable city. Some of my favorite memories are from the kos (boarding house) I lived in. I was awakened most mornings by a man selling chicken soup from a cart. The guy living in the room above me became one of my best friends. I would usually hang out with friends after class at a café somewhere. The food is delicious and cheap and exploring the region is easy to organise. I enjoyed Yogyakarta so much that I extended my one semester exchange into a full year and I plan to return to visit my friends by the end of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment